- This event has passed.
Beauty of Black Girls Round Table
Thursday, August 10, 2017
We are hosting a round table discussion to promote an open dialogue about the beauty of black girls and women and how this beauty is portrayed within society. We will discuss promoting self-confidence, empowering young black girls and women, challenging traditional beauty standards within America and more. Our panel will discuss the types of conversations that took place in their families and communities and what your family can do to support your black daughter.
Following the Round Table, there will be a question and answer session, as well as a wine and cheese reception where you will have an opportunity to talk with the panelists.
- Hamila Aden, the first Somali-American woman to compete for the title of Miss Minnesota USA
- Shannon Gibney, writer, educator, activist, transracial adoptee and author of See No Color
- Shawtan Powell, Founder of Girls are Powerful
- Sheena Pruitt, Foster Care Shelter Coordinator working for a private nonprofit
- all parents and caregivers of black children (including adoptive or foster parents)
- all who support families of black children
- society at large
This event is free for attendees. R.S.V.P. is not required, but is highly appreciated.
Limited childcare is available for those who would be unable to attend otherwise. R.S.V.P. is required if you intend to use the provided child care.