- This event has passed.
Nurturing Parents Class
Thursday, April 20, 2017
Nurturing Parents Classes are hosted by Families in Safe Hands (FISH) of Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota. Our Foster Care Adoption program believes they may be a great resource for our family members and kinship providers going through the foster care adoption process. Please note: although these classes may be useful to many of our families, they will not meet the pre-adoption training requirements for our adoption programs.
The Nurturing Parenting Classes help parents and caregivers learn effective parenting skills in a safe and supportive environment. Topics are adaptable and relevant to parenting children of all ages.
Note: These classes are offered in both afternoon and evening series each month. If the following schedule does not work for you, we recommend checking our events calendar for alternate times and days that may work better. The first date of each series will be shown on the events calendar.
Classes are held in a four-week series. Please call 612-879-5211 or email [email protected] to register prior to attending. The series costs $50 per person, or $60 per parenting couple. No one will be turned away for inability to pay. Contact Safe Families regarding sliding-fee options.
Caregivers will receive a certificate or letter of completion for completing the course. A certain number of absences can be accommodated.
- Ages and stages of growth: Infants and toddlers
- Ways to enhance positive brain development and age-appropriate discipline
- Praising children and their behavior and the importance of play
- Understanding feelings
- Building self-worth and communicating with respect
- Understanding and developing family values, morals, and rules
- Impact of toxic stress and adverse childhood experiences
- Curfew, truancy, bullying and supporting school success
- Community resources and strategies for family safety
- Your child’s physical development, health and safety
If you have questions or would like to register, please email [email protected] or call 612.879.5211.