- This event has passed.
Rallying Support for Your Adoption from Family and Friends
Thursday, August 24, 2017
ONLINE | 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. CT
You’ve decided to adopt and are filled with giddy joy and nervous apprehension for what the future has in store. In your excitement, you tell your family members about your plans. Instead of smiles and support, you’re met with questions and doubt. Even if their concern is coming from a place of love, reactions such as this bring unwanted frustration.
There are different ways that family members may show hesitation surrounding your adoption. Many times, through conversations and education, adoptive families are able to help others better understand adoption so that they may too join in the excitement. In this webinar, we will discuss:
- Various ways to approach adoption conversations depending on the individuals who are hesitant—life partner, children, grandparents, extended family and friends
- How to identify and consider the perspective of everyone involved
- Common misperceptions of adoption and how to dispel these myths
- Common questions you may be asked and respectful ways to respond
- How you can welcome hesitant individuals into your adoption circle
- The importance of garnering the support of others for you and your future child
- When it is necessary to forego adoption plans or stop interactions with family members/friends
This webinar will be useful for adoptive families, prospective adoptive families, and adoption professionals.
This webinar will be presented by Amy Fogel, MSW, LGSW, and Erin Heisler, MA. It will include strategies shared by Elizabeth O’Toole, author of In On It: What Adoptive Parents Would Like You To Know About Adoption.
This webinar will be recorded. If you would like to receive a link to the webinar recording, please register for the live event or visit chlss.org/webinars after the webinar has finished (link will be posted by August 25). Certificates of Attendance and CEUs will be available to attendees.Register Now