Become a Host for a Child Waiting in Colombia
Join the 1.10.23 info session!
Children’s Home partners with Kidsave to help older children from Colombia experience the joys of summer and to help them find permanent, loving, adoptive families through their Summer Miracles®Program. Children stay with host families for 4 to 5 weeks during the summer in designated communities throughout the United States. Generally, the children range in age from 10 to 14. Some may have siblings.
While the children stay here, they learn about the U.S. culture, experience life in an American family, and build lasting relationships with caring adults. As a host family, you’ll work with the local Kidsave community to help the children meet potential adoptive families. Some families move forward to adopt the children they host.
This program can be a great option for experienced parents and for those who are not sure if full-time parenting through international adoption is the right fit.
We are here to guide families through their required education, prepare their hosting assessments, support them during the summer visit, and help families who choose to move forward to adopt children who participated in the program.
Should your hosting experience turn into adoption, we can assist you through our Colombia adoption program.
- Visit the Kidsave Summer Miracles Program to complete the steps to host. Kidsave staff will provide you with more details about the summer program.
- Complete a 20-minute online Orientation Webinar through Kidsave.
- Apply to Kidsave for the Summer Miracles Program. Families generally apply in the fall to host the following summer. You are asked to complete the Kidsave $275 application payment, then complete your application (a link will be sent to you once you complete payment).
- Read and complete the Hosting Cover Letter as well as our Application Part 1 to begin your hosting assessment. Children’s Home Application Part 1 is free to complete. Upon review and approval, you will be sent Application Part 2 which includes the required background clearances, education and hosting assessment.
- Note: The hosting assessment is not the same as an adoption home study. If you do intend to adopt, you can choose to complete an adoption home study upon completion of your hosting assessment.
- Complete Kidsave and Children’s Home Requirements. Application to Kidsave is due by April 1.
- Be matched with a child to host. Matches typically occur in March and May.
- Prepare to host the child. Children arrive July 2 – August 8 for their 4-5 week stay.
Fees Paid to Kidsave
Kidsave’s Application and Hosting Fees are paid directly to Kidsave to support their work in identifying participating children, providing training to families and volunteers, and coordinating with local hosting communities.Fees Paid to Kidsave
Fees Paid to Children’s Home
Agency service fees are paid directly to Children’s Home for our guidance of families, education, preparation of hosting assessments and support during the duration of the hosting experience.Colombia Hosting Cost Estimate
We can provide your adoption home study and/or child placement services if you are interested in adopting a child who participated in Kidsave’s hosting program. Families completing an international adoption often work with one or two agencies. You will need an agency licensed in your state of residence to complete your adoption home study and an agency licensed/approved to work in Colombia. Children’s Home is able to complete adoption home studies in Minnesota, W. Wisconsin, Maryland, and Virginia. We are approved to work and have a long history of completing adoptions from Colombia.
If you have already hosted through Kidsave’s Summer Miracles Program, some of your processes such as background clearances and training can be applied to your adoption process.
If you visited a child who was hosted but did not complete a hosting assessment, please refer to the Colombia Program Adoption Fees.Host Family Adoption Fees Colombia Program Adoption Fees