Working With Two Agencies for an International Adoption
When adopting internationally you must have an adoption home study completed by an agency licensed in your state. You will also need an agency licensed/approved to work in the country from where you are adopting.
Sometimes these are one and the same, and you only need one agency. If you live in MD, MN, or VA and are adopting through one of our international programs, Children’s Home can complete both your adoption home study and international process. If you live outside those areas, you will need to work with two agencies. When pursuing adoption through one of Children’s Home country programs, Children’s Home will act as the Primary Provider and your local agency would work under the supervision of Children’s Home as a Supervised or Exempted Provider.
Note, if you reside in MD, MN, or VA, we may be able to provide home study services while you work with another international placing agency.
Every agency is an independent entity, responsible for maintaining its own standards of practice, licenses, and insurance. You do not have to choose one of the providers below, however, you will want to verify the agency you choose:
- Is licensed in your state.
- Carries a minimum of $1 million liability insurance.
- Is willing to sign a supervised or exempted provider agency agreement with Children’s Home.
- All services must be provided by an employee of the supervised/exempted provider.
- Has not been denied accreditation or involuntarily lost accreditation from the Intercountry Adoption Accreditation and Maintenance Entity, Inc. (IAAME) or the Council on Accreditation (COA).
Children’s Home can provide home study and placement services in Maryland.
Contact our Maryland office at: [email protected] or 301.562.6500.
Children’s Home can provide home study and placement services in Minnesota.
Contact our Minnesota office at: [email protected] or 651.646.7771.
Please check back
Children’s Home can provide home study and placement services in Virginia.
Contact our Virginia office at: [email protected] or 703.642.2193.