An Opportunity for Foster & Foster Adopted Youth to Make New Connections & Build Friendships
Friday, April 19-Sunday, April 21, 2024 | Camp Knutson, Crosslake, Minnesota
Lutheran Social Service (LSS) is excited to offer a special opportunity for foster and foster adopted youth (ages 13-17) to spend a weekend among peers who have shared life experiences at Camp Knutson (Camp K) in Crosslake, Minnesota. In addition to helping foster and foster adopted youth build new connections and make new friends, this retreat will offer an opportunity for siblings who are not currently residing in the same placement to spend quality time together and maintain their familial bond. Registration priority will be given to siblings who do not reside in the same household. Whether attending with a sibling or not, every youth will gain valuable life skills that can be used long after the retreat has concluded.
Retreat Location: Camp K is located at 11148 Manhattan Point Blvd, Crosslake, Minnesota 56422.
Schedule & Transportation: This retreat will take place from Friday, April 19, 2024, at 6 p.m. to Sunday, April 21, 2024, at 12:30 p.m. Optional transportation will be provided for those interested. Buses will depart from our St. Paul office located at 1605 Eustis Street, Saint Paul, MN at 3:00 p.m. Friday, April 19, and will return on Sunday, April 21, at approximately 3:30 p.m. Youth can also be dropped off and picked up directly from Camp K.
Cost to attend: Free! We are pleased to offer this retreat free of cost thanks to funding through the Minnesota Department of Human Services Permanency Support Services contract.
About Camp K:
Camp K is a welcoming, inclusive camp where guests can build friendships, recognize their strengths, gain self-confidence, and identify skills to help them realize their goals.
What Campers Can Expect:
- Camp K is a fully accessible camp.
- Youth will be staying in cabins with staff.
- There will be non-gendered sleeping space options available.
- Youth will be supervised by adoption professionals, trained volunteer chaperones, and Camp K staff.
- This retreat will be unplugged! The best way to help youth build connections and spend quality time together will be without electronic devices. Devices will be collected and stored by staff.
More information about Camp K can be found at lssmn.org/campknutson.
Retreat Activities May Include the Following (weather permitting):
- Archery (indoor or outdoor)
- Arts and Crafts
- Cooking Class
- Group Games (indoor or outdoor)
- Life Skills Curriculum (introduction to financial literacy, resume building/interview skills)
Please email Elizabeth Bohlken at [email protected].
Thank you for your interest in the 2024 Youth Retreat. Due to the high volume of interest received, we are no longer accepting additions to the waitlist. Please check back for future opportunities.