A month of celebration and reflection
In November of each year, adoptees, birth families, adoptive families and adoption professionals take some time to celebrate adoption, to reflect on adoption practices and its lifelong effects on families and children, and to educate ourselves about topics surrounding adoption.
Celebrate your family | ANnual Photo contest
Every year during National Adoption Awareness Month, we love to catch up with our families. Share how your family has grown by submitting your favorite snap shots to our Annual Photo Contest. We’ll then post our favorites on our Facebook page for a fan vote on who will be the face of Children’s Home and LSS in 2020!
- All photos entered before the published deadline–11:59 p.m. (CST) on Friday, November 30, 2019–as indicated by the electronic time stamp on the submission, become entrants to the contest. Our contest rules are intended to offer fair contests; all submitted photos have an equal opportunity of being reviewed by Children’s Home and Lutheran Social Services staff.
- Photos are judged with no discrimination towards gender, race, or age.
- Up to two photos from each family will be entered into the contest on Facebook. Photos will be posted on Facebook by 12:00 p.m. (CST) on Monday, December 2, 2019. The winning photo will be the photo with the most reactions at 12:00 p.m. (CST) on Friday, December 6, 2019.
- Photos containing nudity or children depicted in a derogatory or dangerous position will not be accepted. Children’s Home and LSS staff reserve the right to refuse any photograph which they deem unacceptable.
- If a professional photo is submitted to our contests, Children’s Home and LSS will not be held responsible for securing usage rights from the photographer. The person submitting the photos should receive rights to use the photo prior to contest submission.
- Individuals may submit as many photos as desired; the submission of a photo amounts to the submitter granting Children’s Home and LSS permission to use the photo in marketing efforts (e.g. website, e-newsletters, brochures, etc.) related to Children’s Home and LSS.
- Individuals will not be compensated in any way for use of the photos they submit. Our contests are void where prohibited by law. The contestants assume the total responsibility of knowing their local laws in regard to photo contests and are subject to any local, state, national, or international laws. Children’s Home and Lutheran Social Service accept no responsibility for making these individual legal determinations.
- Photos must be submitted in a digital format via this website.
Adoption and Parenting EVENTS
This month, there are a number of events and webinars on parenting and adoption being hosted by Children’s Home, LSS, and our friends within the community. If you can’t join a live event, we also welcome you to take advantage of our recorded webinars this month to learn more about adoption. No matter your stage in the adoption process—whether you’re just considering adoption, or if you’ve been a part of an adoptive family for years—we hope these webinars and events encourage meaningful conversations within your household or office.
- Foster Care and Adoption Orientation (in-person in Saint Paul, MN on 11/2)
- Circus of the Heart (in-person in Apple Valley, MN on 11/4)
- Pr%f Alliance FASD Conference (in-person in Prior Lake, MN on 11/6-11/8)
- Foster Care and Adoption Classes (in-person in Anoka, MN on 11/8-11/9)
- Adoption and Foster Care Information Meeting (in-person in Saint Paul, MN on 11/9)
- Host Family Information Meeting (in-person in Saint Paul, MN on 11/9)
- Midwest Family Building Summit (in-person in Golden Valley, MN on 11/9)
- Staff-Led Support Group for Foster Care & Foster Care Adoption Parents (in-person in Saint Paul, MN on 11/12)
- Best Buy Adoption Fair (in-person on 11/12)
- Adult Adoptee Support Group (in-person in Saint Paul, MN on 11/14)
- Foster Care and Adoption Classes (in-person in Bemidji, MN on 11/15-11/16)
- Foster Care and Adoption Orientation (online on 11/18)
- Adoption and Foster Care Information Meeting (online on 11/19)
- Webinar: Tips and Advice for First-Time Parents (online on 11/20)
- Birth Parent and Adoptee Support Group (in-person in Saint Paul, MN on 11/20)
- Adoptive Parents Committee Conference (in-person in Brooklyn, NY on 11/24)
- Adoption and Foster Care Information Meeting (in-person in Saint Paul, MN on 11/25)
- Parent-Led Support Group for Foster Care & Foster Care Adoption Parents (in-person in Saint Paul, MN on 11/28)
Reflection In the Community
There are a number of publications that are taking time this month to reflect on adoption and how it is processed by adoptees, birth families and adoptive families over the years. We encourage you to visit the sites below, as well as other blogs and stories being circulated on social media with the hashtags #FliptheScript and #NationalAdoptionMonth.
childwelfare.gov | The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services picks a theme for National Adoption Month each year and offers resources surrounding the theme. In 2019 the theme is “Youth Voices: Why Family Matters.”
Lost Daughters | This website debuted the hashtag #FliptheScript during National Adoption Month in 2014. The Lost Daughters share stories from adoptees and birth parents in an effort to round-out the adoption conversations that occur around the web and in every home.
Adoptive Families Magazine | Although this website is subscription based, it offers high-quality stories and educational webinars on adoption and foster care throughout the year and during National Adoption Month.